HBO’s Game of Thrones wrapped up for good on Sunday night, after eight epic seasons. During the finale, it was revealed who would sit on the Iron Throne (hint: no one), and a number of other big twists were revealed. According to Variety, here were the eight most shocking moments from the series finale:
- Tyrion found his family. Tyrion found the bodies of his brother and sister, Jaime and Cersei, entombed in the crypt under the Red Keep.
- Daenerys' plan for world domination. After burning King’s Landing to the ground, Daenerys declared in front of her remaining army that she intended to “free” the entire earth--including the people of Winterfell.
- Tryion’s “hand” enough. After Daenerys’ dramatic speech, Tyrion removed his Hand of the King pin and dramatically tossed it away.
- Jon killed Daenerys. After realizing that his aunt and lover had become a Mad Queen, Jon put a knife through her heart.
- Drogon melted the Iron Throne. Dany’s last dragon, Drogon, melted the Iron Throne in anger at his mother’s death.
- Westeros, a Democracy? Following Dany’s murder, Sam proposed at the council to let the people vote on who should be king or queen.
- All hail, Bran the Broken. The council unanimously voted Bran the new king of the Six Kingdoms (the North went solo, with Sansa getting the crown she deserves).
- Ghost returns. Jon is reunited with his direwolf Ghost, as well as Tormund. Together, the trio rode into the frozen tundra North of the Wall in a final scene which mirrors the opening sequence of the entire series.